$150 Minimum Charge
1.75¢ to 3.75¢ Per Word
Tier 2 service combines copyediting with a full manuscript evaluation. It is a popular service for authors who wish to not only have their manuscript edited, but also want to gain an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of their work and their writing.
- Tier 2 service includes a full manuscript evaluation along with a complete copyedit.
- You will receive an eight-page report outlining the strengths and weaknesses of both your writing skills and your manuscript (few editors offer this service combined with copyediting).
- You will also receive a text analysis report, which involves extracting your manuscript and analyzing all of its words. This process helps you understand your own text redundancies, writing patterns, and areas of weak prose.
- Basic fact-checking (limited to ensuring correct spelling of current, not historical, proper nouns such as geography, movies, books, etc.) is included. In-depth fact-checking and/or research assistance can be added (at a separate hourly charge) for authors who need help with setting and plot elements.
- A free proofread of your synopsis, blurbs, and query letters is also included.
- This service gets into the nitty gritty and ensures that not only is everything picture perfect, but that it’s the best it can be!
The fee includes one manuscript submission. The per-word rate range covers varying writers’ abilities. A final rate decision will be made after the sample edit, based on the condition of the writing.
The Manuscript Evaluation
Your Manuscript Evaluation will be returned in a PDF document. The evaluation will describe, in detail, what is good in your manuscript and what needs further work. The document runs a minimum of eight pages and covers strengths and weaknesses in both your writing and the book’s content. Comments inserted in your manuscript will correlate to the items in the evaluation.
(For more information, visit the Non-Editing Services page for a screenshot of the evaluation form and categories covered.)
The Text Analysis
Your Text Analysis will be returned in an Excel spreadsheet (or, if you do not own the Excel program, a PDF document). This report will display your usage of different words throughout your manuscript to help you to understand your own writing patterns and identify areas for improvement. The results will be organized by a number of variables that you can also manipulate yourself (numerical, alphabetical, percentages, calculations) and will show common errors like overused words, passive rather than active verbs, redundant usage of words, and will indicate an overuse of telling versus showing.
For screenshots and a more detailed explanation of the report, view the “Standalone Text Analysis” section on the Non-Editing Services page.
If you choose to do extensive rewriting of your manuscript after your Tier 1 or 2 editing service has been completed (but before you feel it is publication-ready), you may resubmit it for copyediting or proofreading with sections flagged for re-editing. Additional submissions are billed at $40/hour for copyediting or $30/hour for proofreading, prorated by the quarter hour.
If you would like two manuscript submissions included in your fee, Tier 3 service may be a good choice. If you would like the option to re-work and re-submit your manuscript an unlimited number of times during the editing process, at no additional charge, Tier 4 service may be right for you.